Is It Safe To Walk In Cozumel At Night?
How is Cozumel’s Safety Record?
Cozumel is a small island with a low crime rate, especially in the tourist areas. The local authorities and residents value the tourism industry and do their best to protect visitors from harm. Cozumel also has a strong police presence and security forces from the Mexican Navy and Marine units to deter and respond to any potential threats.
The U.S. State Department does not have any travel advisories or warnings for Cozumel, unlike some other regions of Mexico. However, it does advise travelers to maintain a high level of situational awareness, avoid areas where illicit activities occur, and promptly depart from potentially dangerous situations.
What Are Safety Tips For Walking In Cozumel At Night?
- Stick to well-lit and populated areas. Avoid dark alleys, empty streets, or isolated locations where you could be an easy target for robbers or muggers.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash or valuables with you. Keep your wallet, phone, camera, and other items in a secure place, such as a zippered pocket or a cross-body bag.
- Do not flaunt your belongings or attract unwanted attention.
- Do not accept rides from strangers or unlicensed taxis. Use only official taxis. Make sure the driver matches the photo and license plate number on the app. Agree on the fare before getting in the car.
- Do not drink too much alcohol or use drugs. Alcohol and drugs can impair your judgment, make you vulnerable, and get you into trouble with the law. Drink responsibly and know your limits. Do not accept drinks from strangers or leave your drink unattended.
- Travel with a companion or a group. Walking with someone else or a group of friends can make you feel safer and more confident. It can also deter potential attackers who may look for lone victims. If you are traveling solo, let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Trust your instincts. If something feels wrong or suspicious, do not ignore it. Leave the area immediately and seek help if necessary.